Friday, December 7, 2007

Recreating the Mystery of the Shakesperean Sonnet: An Imitation

Brothers:

Over the course of the week, we will be finishing up discussion on the Elizabethan poets Edmund Spenser and Sir Philip Sidney, relying on the text questions to help us find and provide each other with insight regarding the deeper meanings of their sonnets.

As we do this, we keep in mind the importance of structure in such poetry for establishing cadence (that is, tone), rhythm, and meaning. We also keep in mind the importance of learning to read poetry by writing it ourselves.

That said, I ask you to take on the Shakespearean sonnet formula (iambic pantemter; ABAB CDCD EFEF GG) while modifying the text to suit your own needs and subject matter related to the deeply emotional experiences presented in Shakespeare’s sonnets:

· Time
· Death
· Love
· Friendship


Your focus should be centered on issues of RELATIONSHIP! Thus, you will want to evoke a whole range of emotional experiences from joy to despair; love-loss to the fulfillment of love; from loneliness to peace; from depression to happiness. Be sure to pay attention to how Shakespeare uses the sonnet to “bring the fundamental experiences of life—time, death, love, and friendship—into tight focus" (TV 250).

DUE TUESDAY, Dec. 11, 2007 by class time: blog or hard copy (typed)

Below is an example from my own in-class writing on the theme of spiritual transformation (from life to death to life):

The promised land awaits in the silent
Growth of the fruits of God's great love.
On this Western front all time is thus spent
In the white mist of reverie above

Wherein I seek only what's beautiful
In scope of truth in sound that sings a song--
This melody is a momentary lull
Into scapes of dreaming so deep and long,

Where human deserts become oases.
Barren and dry hearts are like thirst quenched.
Where sullen countenance of death ceases
To sahde all that was once prefigured

In the advent of your second coming--
A story of death to birth succumbing.

7 comments:

Bill McLean said...

Bill McLean
Eng 141/04
Bro. Rob Peach

My friends and I do something every day.
We drive around in my car listening to The Game.
Hockey is a sport that we all can play.
Doctors Advocate has brought Game wealth and fame.
My one friend has always had my back,
just like The Game and Dre, we’re friends for life
have his back no matter what that’s a fact
It’s not a good idea to start a strife.
My friends are more than friends, it’s more than that.
They’re like family its not hard to understand
You want beef? we will pin you on the mat
If my boy falls down, I will lend a hand,
we all know what it means to be a man,
to help them, I will do whatever I can.

Dave Kocinski said...

David Kocinski
12/11/07
Eng 141.04
Bro Rob Peach
"Hero to Zero"

He's been a hero ever since day one
He's always wanted to change history
He could save everything under the sun
"Hero" he was, and this is his story

At age fifteen he was able to fly
He flew so high, he could get to the moon
Always soaring high into the night sky
Once in a while, he'd fly to Cancun

At age thirty, he was a superstar
He began to slack off and save nothing
For years and years, he hung out at a bar
And yet, he still thought he lived like a king

At heart, we all want to be a hero
All I want is to not be a zero

Jay_Mag said...

Taylor maglin
Eng 141/04
Bro. Rob Peach
The Dream Girl

She seemed beautiful to me and divine
My heart raced every time I saw her face
I knew I had to make this angel mine
She was a real woman with style and grace
She realized that she was one of a kind
So to get her would be quite difficult
I was ready though to do what was needed
Hoping that her being mine would be the result
It was all right for her to be conceded
Time went by and still there was no progress
I felt like my chances with her were gone
This was causing too much stress, I had to confess
Told her how I felt and what I undergone
She looked at me and smiled but said noting
Then in an instant we started kissing.

dj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dj said...

David Juran
Br. Rob Peach
Brit Lit 141-04
12/08/07
Love not Healed


Time heals all wounds, except the wound of love.
Because love is something we all desire.
And when in love you may get made fun of,
But love burns within like a fire.

Love I know is complicated, sure
And being in love can make it harder
But love lost can make you heart hit the floor
Love that burns so deep kills you like a martyr

The times run out and all love is lost
The love of your life has left you alone
To not embarrass, you paid the cost
The sound of being alone is that of a moan

Death is now at your door pulling you in
Time is up in this game, life, did you win?

zp2009 said...

Zachary Polk
Bro. Rob Peach
Eng. 141.4 Brit. Lit.
12/11/07
“Time”

Time is what keeps us on our very way.
It keeps us on schedule all the time,
Time will do this each and every day;
It still goes when you are picking a lime.
Time is also used in our own high school.
I watch it go by fast but sometimes slow.
When the time is fast school is very cool,
If slow I watch the stuff in the window blow.
It is used to get up out of our bed,
The clock which it is on rings very long
To make sure we catch the bus with Mister Ed.
The bus ride is very long which is very wrong.
If we did not have this time it would be bad,
And would make every one in the world mad.

Nuttle said...

Mike Nuttle
12/11/07
Eng 141.04
Bro Rob Peach
“Limited Time”

Too bad time is a very cruel master,
Making us follow its jurisdiction.
Sometimes crawls by, sometimes it seems faster.
It is mystical, a thing of fiction.
So precious that people try to save it,
Not well understood it is very strange.
I know many people really crave it.
It is limited to a finite range,
Only twenty-four hours in a day;
Only sixty seconds in a minute.
You may have a few of these anyway,
So live your life, earn time; you know, win it.
Just value what little time that you got.
My advice? Time is precious, waste it not!